Thursday, February 18, 2010

Dally The Rabbit by JJ

The Boy loved writing, maybe he just liked the feeling of creating new things.

The Boy went to school and he loved it. He got to write many new things and he was happy.

The Boy had a new teacher one day. The teacher told everyone to copy something old out of a book.

This was called PENMANSHIP.

"Might we not practise our PENMANSHIP by writing something new?"

"Are you challenging me?"

"I just think we learn more by writing something new, rather than writing something that has been written before."

"You are here to learn respect and obedience."

"I have a need to create new things."

"Suppress it, TROUBLEMAKER."

The Boy was silent. All he could think of was a rabbit peeking out of a hole to see tarmac and asphalt being poured over it for roads.

The Boy was dismayed. He closed his book and began writing.

"Dally was a happy rabbit, why did you build a road over him?"

The Boy stopped writing, he didn’t think he could do it anymore.

~

When I was younger, I often felt suppressed by the educational system that was obsessed with making sure I always did the right thing (that is, to do things in the prescribed fashion). I wrote this story drawing upon my memories as a child in primary school, although you can tell that the incident may have been exaggerated a little...

No comments: